2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening 3/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup very warm tap water
1. Work the vegetable shortening into the flour with your hands. Make sure to fully incorporate it and rub it in completely.
2. Dissolve the salt in the water. Work the water into the flour - shortening mix with a fork until a dough forms.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough smooths out.
4. Roll the dough out into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces. Roll them into balls and either cover with plastic wrap or place in a plastic wrap. Let them rest for at least 20 minutes
5. Preheat an ungreased heavy skillet or griddle to medium high. Then roll out the dough into seven inch circles.
6. Cook the tortillas (I do them one at a time) for 30 seconds on each size. The tortilla should sizzle a bit when you place it on the hot pan.
7. As you cook them keep the other cooked tortillas warm and soft on a tinfoil covered plate. Let them soften covered by tinfoil for a minute or two before using. The tortillas on the bottom will be softer than the ones on top so use those first.